The Do’s and Don’ts of Contractor Selection
Before you start using your HVAC equipment full force for the winter months, it’s important to provide a little preventative maintenance to ensure everything is in top shape.
Are you looking for a heating and cooling expert you can trust working on your equipment and providing you with the truth?
The most important part of the process is the very beginning. It starts from the moment you make up your mind to call in a contractor and hire them for the job. Are they professional? Can they be trusted?
Are you doing everything you can to ensure you find the right contractor for the job?
Start with a list of do’s:
- Get multiple bids if you’re in the market for new equipment.
- Ask about brands and learn more about differences between manufacturers.
- Ask about experience, both of the contractor helping you and of the company.
- Ask about certifications and licenses.
- Ask about guarantees.
- Check online review sites and find out what people are saying.
- Ask questions about your needs and desires. How will the equipment fit into your daily lifestyle?
- Review their Better Business Bureau listing.
- Ask about warranties.
Don’t forget about your list of dont’s:
- Go with the first contractor you talk with simply because they are the first you found.
- Go with a contractor because of a coupon or special offer.
- Assume they know what’s best for your family and your home. Make sure they understand your needs and offer suggestions.
- Skip regular maintenance altogether.
- Try and fix it yourself.
Regular maintenance isn’t something you should ignore. By having an HVAC contractor maintain your equipment every year, you can be sure that your furnace and air conditioner will operate in top condition throughout the season.
Have you scheduled your preventative maintenance appointment yet?