Dealing With Basement Flooding
Weather reports are calling for heavy rain this afternoon and evening in Atlanta, and with heavy rain come flooded basements. No matter the source of basement flooding, whether it’s a burst pipe or a leak from the outside, you can be in deep water fairly quickly and facing a variety of problems and calls to your plumber as a result. Aside from the initial damage, mildew, rotting wood, termites and electrical issues could all rear their ugly heads in the aftermath of basement flooding. The good news is, there are several steps you can take to deal with basement flooding quickly and effectively to limit the damage incurred. Here are a few ideas.
- A sump pump is the number one way to quickly clear a flooded basement of water. If you don’t already have a sump pump installed, consider getting one with a backup battery so it can function in the event of power loss. This is especially critical if your house is situated in such a way that natural drainage is nonexistent or ineffective. If you are interested in installing or replacing your sump pump, give R.S. Andrews a call today.
- In a pinch, you can buy or rent a sump pump from a local hardware store. Make sure you pick one with a large diameter attachment for hose – this will allow you to pump the maximum volume of water out of your basement.
- When cleaning up after removal of floodwater, use a bleach and vinegar solution mixed with water – one cup of bleach and one tablespoon of vinegar per gallon of water. Spreading this solution over the area and allowing it to dry before rinsing it off will reduce mildew occurrence, especially if you utilize a dehumidifier at the same time.
When it comes to preventing basement flooding altogether, there are many common-sense steps homeowners can take.
- Install roof gutters to help channel rainwater away from your home’s foundation.
- Install footing drains in the floor of your basement to channel rainwater away from the foundation of the house.
- Make sure you’ve got flood insurance! It’s not usually included in most basic policies, so double-check that you’re covered.
- Consult a local contractor for advice on what changes you can make to your landscaping to improve drainage.
If you’re faced with a flooding emergency, call R.S. Andrews right now and our expert technicians will resolve the problem and show you what you can do in the future to prevent basement flooding. Our experienced plumbers are available 24 hours a day and respond promptly to your emergency calls so we can start solving your problem right away.
Stay dry tonight, Atlanta!